After having a great time the previous weekend, I returned on the 20th November, but hoped I would get a chance to capture closer range photos of the SEO's.
The Brent Geese were still in large numbers, but instead of Curlews sharing the same field, this time it was Golden plover. I didn't have a count up, but 75 to 100 Golden plover were amongst 100's of Brent Geese.
The tide was way out, so no waders were close enough for decent photos, except just 2 Oystercatchers on Shellness Beach.
Its funny how events unfold, because if I hadn't have spotted a Butterfly(probable Red Admiral) then I wouldn't have seen the SEO's. Whilst taking a photo of a Kestrel, the Butterfly flew past me, I asked out loud, "Was that a Red Admiral"? and a voice said back, "I think it could have been a Small Tortoiseshell".
I recognised this voice, to be that of an "Old Timer", whom I had met a couple of occasions on my Church Patch!!! Turns out he lives in one of the beach properties, and is very much a "local man". So whilst we "talked birds" up on the bank(outside his house), this lead to me seeing/photographing some great sights.
Unfortunately, by this time it was 2.30pm, so I was shooting against the low sun, hence the photos were back lit. Regardless, I still had a great time, and if not for that Butterfly, then I would certainly have gone home early, which was my intention at that time.
These photos are still heavily cropped, because of the distance involved, but I did get closer to them this visit.
2 SEO's were having a tussle of sorts, one was on the ground, whilst the other kept swooping down on it.
A couple of shots when one of the owls faced my way.
I only just captured this flight shot, in frame.
Then a surprise, this was way off in the distance, but it looks like a female Hen Harrier to me.
Those 2 Oystercatchers, from earlier on in the day.
On the way home, I called into Raptor Point(its only the 2nd time Ive been here) and the sun was going down rapid, so the light was very poor.
A Heron, fishing in one of those dykes.
Last shot of the day, and whilst on the viewing mound, this SEO was mobbed by one of the Kestrels, before it too, landed on the farm machinery(the kestrel is on the tyre).
Driving home, over the new bridge, I was treated to a fantastic sunset, I should have stopped to take a pic, but I was cold and hungry!
As well as the Butterfly, I also saw a Dragonfly too, I didn't get any photos of these 2 on the day, but the last butterfly I saw in my garden, was seen on the 15th of November.
I shot this leaning over my garden fence.
Red Admiral.










Paul,
ReplyDeleteThe "old timer" that you mention is probably Richard White, who, despite owning a bungalow in Leysdown which he rents out, has preffered to live in his shack for the last 40-50 years. He is very fit and cycles into Sheerness a few times a week for his grocery, he also cycles over a lot of Kent and further afield.
Hi Paul, Looks like you had a great day, I'm pleased you got an Owl to look at you! mine were all a bit camera shy!! Some lovely photos.
ReplyDeleteDerek, Yes your right, it was Richard. I used the term "old timer" with the utmost respect for him. If I ever reach his age, I would be a happy man. His push bike is an old racing bike, how he manages to cycle the vast distances that he does, is beyond me. I met him at East Peckham Church, and was shocked to learn that he would be riding back to Sheppey later that day!!! What a guy.
ReplyDeleteAlan, cheers mate, I was lucky that Owl looked my way, although I was leaning my camera next to a wooden power pole, so I was kind of hidden.