Thursday, 19 May 2011

More May highlights.

Just some early May highlights then.

I think this is a Dung beetle? or a Rhino beetle? Either way, it was being overwhelmed by these Wood Ants.

Cinnabar Moth

Swallows gathering nesting materials.

Not sure about this Moth, is it a Mother Shipton?

A couple of Damselfly.


I dropped in on Clare Park lake on the 10th of May, and am happy to say that the pair of Grey Wagtails have returned once more. Lets hope they do not get too disturbed by all the school children, and go on to breed/produce offspring. I did capture some nice shots of the adults feeding their young last year, and am hoping for a repeat this year too.

I think this is the Male, but I saw both birds, and they were constantly calling and chasing each other.


A Coot showed some aggression towards me as i walked by.

Going back to the 3rd of May, i saw 3 separated Bee swarms at Teston, i think these are Honey Bees? and if you look close, there is a larger Bee in this swarm, could it be the Queen Bee? All 3 swarms were within 20 feet of each other, and each swarm was similar in size, i didnt get too close to them!




5 comments:

  1. Definitely a Mother Shipton, Paul. Not sure if the Honey Bees are truly wild, but probably from cultivated hive stock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More great shots Paul. Particularly like the damsels and I certainly wouldn't go anywhere near those bees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bees wont harm you Paul, they are at a docile stage.

    Nice Grey Wag, lets hope it breeds this year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul ,
    From here , I would say that your bettle is a male Minotaur Beetle / Typhaeus typhoeus . I have never seen one of those , well done .
    Also like the Grey Wagtail shots .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dean, cheers on the ID, i have a couple more moths coming up soon too.

    Phil, cheers mate, the closest i got to the Bees was about 15 feet!

    Warren, Ive been chased by Honey bees before, and they wouldnt let up on me, and one of em flew up my shorts too, most embarrassing that was!! Im hoping those Grey Wagtail breed as well.

    Greenie, cheers for the beetle ID mate, i did do a search for it, but i couldnt find any pics of my beetle, so just assumed it was some sort of Dung beetle.

    ReplyDelete