Sunday, 1 May 2011

Catch up Blog, Part 3.

Yes I know its May! but this is my last catch up blog for April. Although i do have some exciting reptile photos from April, so i will post about the "Adder mating shots" soon enough. I am always late with my updates, so its a given really!

I dropped in on Clare Park Lake on the 27th of April, and although it was quiet around the Lake, there were some sights to be had. Coots nesting(4 of), A Moorhen nesting(Im sure there are many other nests around the lake though), A large clutch of Ducklings(12 of) and I did spot a female Wagtail too.

Some photos then. As usual, click on image to enlarge.

I didnt see these Mallard Ducklings at 1st, because they were hidden well on the bank, it was only when i got near them that they took to the water with Mum.

I had a count up, and i make it 12 ducklings for this clutch.


Look at all the different nesting material this Coot has utilized, there's plastic bags in there an everything! In this pic, you can only see one chick, but there are two in the nest.


I was hoping to see some Dragonfly/Damselfly numbers, but all i could find was just the one Damselfly, and this one looked like it had just emerged too? No sign of any Butterflies as yet, but that will change soon enough.



Mereworth, 29th of April, and did i have a good day or what! I found 6 different Adders(3 females and 3 males, 2 Common Lizards, various Butterflies, and a lovely new Moth for me. Unfortunately, there were very few birds to speak of, but then the area i went to, is not the best of bird places.I will save the Reptile pics for another day.

Holly Blue.

Green Veined White.

I think this Moth is called the Speckled Yellow(Im sure Dean will correct me if im wrong here) I saw at least 3 of these, and although small, they are beauties for sure.


And to finish off, for the last 2 weeks these St Mark's Flies have been everywhere i go, in large numbers!!!

5 comments:

  1. I ain't Dean but that is a Speckled Yellow - nice little moth that beats Dingy Skippers into a cocked hat!

    Cheers

    Davo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bang on. Speckled Yellow is one species i`d love to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul ,
    One of the few moths that I could have confirmed , but not necessary now .
    Your damselfly is in fact a female Blue-tailed Damselfly of the form rufescnes . The females can also be found in form violacea - violet thorax . As it matures , the red/pink thorax and blue segment 8 of your female will become yellow/brown a form known as rufescens-obsoleta . The violet ones mature into either male type colouration - andromorph or brown thorax and segment 8 -infuscans .
    Great shots again and look forward to the Adder shots .

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're saving the best till last then paul, with the adders!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Davo, cheers for the confirmation on the Speckled Yellow mate.


    Hi Dean, thanks for that mate, it is a nice little moth.


    Hi Greenie, thanks very much for your in-depth reply about that Damselfly of mine.
    And the Adders are coming soon, cheers.


    Hi Warren, Something like that mate, always save the best till last!

    ReplyDelete