Tuesday, 24 May 2011

Can you see the Pheasant Chick?!

Can you see the Pheasant Chick? because at the time i took the shot, from the distance i was at, i could only see the Mother. It was only when she moved, that she gave up her secret. I couldnt count them, but I would say that there could have been 6 baby chicks. I had just stumbled on a large grass snake, and was taking shots of that, when i turned 90 Degrees to my right, and saw the pheasant sitting perfectly still, so as i turned to take the 1st shot of her, she ran off into a nearby bush. I thought i saw somethings follow her too, but i didnt realize at first what they were, it wasnt until i looked at the spot that she was sitting down low at, that i saw a chick there(the're were actually 2) but since i was 15 to 20 feet away, i couldnt see the other one.
Was that Grass Snake hoping to take one of those Pheasant chicks?

Some photos then, please click on an image to enlarge, cheers.

PS. All these shots were taken on Friday the 13th, unlucky for some!

Ist shot, and i couldnt see the chick at this stage!
The Mother left 2 chicks behind, but the rest ran with her.
Cropped to show that cute little chick.
I would just like to say that all this happened in seconds, and i soon left the area to enable the Mother to be reunited with all her chicks.


The Grass Snake, and this was large.
I did capture a few tongue shots of the snake too.

Brimstone showing some wing damage.

A couple of Moths for Dean, because i dont know what these are? This 1st moth just wouldnt settle, so its a poor shot, it was quite large, as moths go!

Ive seen a few of these small moths.
Same small moth.

3 comments:

  1. Great pics as always, Paul. As for the moths : Scalloped Hazel & Common Heath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul.
    Nice piece of camera work. What good shots of the baby Pheasants, and Grass Snake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dean, cheers for that mate, and thanks for the Moth ID's too.


    Ken, thanks a lot mate.

    ReplyDelete