Just a note to thank the people who left a message on my last blog about the WL Hairstreaks that I found in my garden. Unfortunately the day i took those photos, was the last day i saw them! We had some heavy rain, and I found the remains of one wing, and several limbs, stuck to the roof and door of my car, so Im guessing that they all perished in the rough weather? Its seems such a shame, Im just hoping that they might return one day.
Going back to the end of May here, I stumbled on a GS Woodpecker nest, so took some photos, then returned the next day with my son, so that he could see what all the fuss was about. It was a lot quieter the following day though, and good reason too, because we found 2 sitting in a nearby tree, that had probably fledged earlier that day. There was still a 3rd in the nest/tree, but who knows exactly how many young GS woodpeckers were in that nest?
Some photos then, I struggled to capture good clear shots, I was standing at the bottom of the tree, camera outstretched in one hand whilst holding a branch back with the other hand, its all good fun though!
Then the following day, one of the two young seen in a nearby tree.
There was still one(or more?) in the nest though.
This was the 1st time that i had found a Woodpecker nest, and after following "Greenies" GS Woodpecker nest/site with much interest, Im really glad to have witnessed this fantastic event myself. My young son also found the experience a treat too.
Just a note to say that i think I may have found(and captured a rough shot) of a Purple Hairstreak Butterfly today? That would be another 1st for me, cheers.
Glad you found the G S Woodpeckers Paul and took full advantage by getting such excellent photographs of these brilliant birds plus a great experience for your young son.
ReplyDeletePaul,
ReplyDeleteReally great GSW shots .
Don't give up on the WLHs , IF the weather gets better , others could well turn up .
Still well worth letting Kent BC know .
Pete- Cheers mate, it was a good all round experience for the both of us.
ReplyDeleteGreenie- Thanks, about the GSW photos. I hope the WLH's do return. I will also contact the Kent BC too.