Tuesday, 28 June 2011

Larkfield Lakes Part 2.

I returned to Larkfield lakes on the 19th of June, but still couldnt manage a Cuckoo photo! I did however catch a Jay(up very close) preening itself, after clearly having a "full on" bath. The Jay appeared soaking wet, and allowed me several shots before it took flight. Ive always admired the Jay, and this is the closest Ive managed to get to one, and been able to capture some nice shots.

As usual,  please click on an image to enlarge.




Reptiles at the lakes are not that easily seen, but with a bit of searching, I noted 9 Slow worms, 3 Common Lizards, and a very small juv. Grass snake.

Possible male Common Lizard?


Possible Female Common Lizard? which could have been showing signs of being gravid too? If you check out the 2nd pic down of her, she looks gravid to me?


1st time for me to see a Ringlet Butterfly too.


Long tailed Tits were nice to see, there were also Green, and Gold Finches, Song Thrushes, Whitethroats, and a couple of Nightingales.

Long Tails.

Another(out of focus) shot of a Nightingale!

And lastly a Whitethroat.

So, another good session was had down the Lakes, the Cuckoo still eludes me though!



3 comments:

  1. Paul ,
    You might not have got your Cuckoo , but you got incredibly close to that Jay .
    Impossible to sex Com.Lizards without looking underneath . Could be gravid female , as they will be giving birth to live young soon , but like other reptiles , they can 'flatten' their bodies to get as much wrmth as possible from the sun .
    Well done getting your first Ringlet .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart set of pics again, Paul. Yeah, and well done on sticking Ringlet onto your list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greenie- Cheers mate, I was within 15 feet of the Jay, and it was far too busy preening(at first!)to see me.

    I used to keep Bearded Dragons many years ago, and i could sex them visually, by head size, shape of the base of the tail, shape of body etc. So i just applied the same principles to that of the Common Lizard...I could be wrong though?!


    Dean- Thanks mate, its my 1st year for Butterflies, so Im doing quite well in the numbers game.

    ReplyDelete