Painted Lady, Both male and female Banded Demoiselle, and Slow worms were also seen. I also bumped into that man Phil Sharp too, we both spotted the same 2 cuckoos in flight, and whilst we chatted for awhile, we also took some shots of a very vocal male Blackcap, all be it in poor light. Its always a pleasure Phil.
Some photos then, all taken on the 11th of June.
Both young and adult Nightingales were seen, although since it was the 1st time Ive seen a young/juvenile Nightingale, i wasnt too sure at first, but it appears so.
Adult Nightingale(missed the focus!)
Then 2 different young/juv. Nightingales, found a fair distance from each other.
Ist one.
And the 2nd one.
On to the Whitethroats, they seemed to be in good numbers too.
Young/Juv. Whitethroats.
Adult feeding young/juv.
Another nice Whitethroat shot.
Would this be a (long distance/heavily cropped) shot of a Reed Warbler?
Also some(poor light)shots of young Little Grebes, I saw four chicks.
All in all, a very good session was had, which prompted me to go back the following weekend. I didnt capture any Cuckoo shots, but you cant win them all. Part 2. to follow.
Stop the press. I went in search of photos of a White Admiral Butterfly this Sunday evening, and at approx. 8.00pm, my luck and patience paid off!!! I saw 3, possibly 4 of them
Some very nice shots as usual Paul. Good to get the 'little' Little Grebes in particular.
ReplyDeleteNice to see you on the day, still haven't got my New Hythe Painted Lady!
Paul ,
ReplyDeleteSome really great shots there , especially the Nightingales . I heard plenty there , but never saw one .
Wouldn't argue with your Reed Warbler ID .
Re. your comment on mine , now that mating is over , the males will slowly drift back to the areas where they will hibernate later on .
With overnight temperatures of around 20C , could find an Adder at any time I would imagine .
Keep watching for the White-letter Hairstreak .
Great set of hard to see, let alone photograph birds Paul, well done on those White Admirals too :-)
ReplyDeleteNightingale and Nightingale young....Bloody Hell Paul, excellent images, great stuff.
ReplyDeletePhil- Cheers mate, the Little Grebes were definitely a surprise for me too. I didnt see that Painted lady on the 19th though, and i looked for it.
ReplyDeleteWarren- Thanks, I had no chance of seeing birds like that on my patch, so i had to go elsewhere for them.
Pete- Thanks a lot, that's only the 2nd time ive seen a Nightingale, and that was at the same location as last year.
Greenie- Cheers, the Nightingales were located close to where you get a lot of people/traffic around the lakes, which surprised me. Although it was a bit quiet at that time(just after 7.00am)
ReplyDeleteI thought that would be the case, in regards to the male adders now returning to their pre-mating basking spots.
I check the tree tops every day for those White-letter Hairstreaks, but nothing as yet.