Friday, 17 December 2010

Three new birds to our garden list.

I have spent some time lately(along with my young son)watching the bird activities in our back garden, and this week we have added three new birds to our Garden List. I managed to take a couple of photos of two of them, but the 3rd was just too evasive for us. These new birds are-  1)  Treecreeper, 2)  Pied Wagtail, and 3)  Goldcrest.
The majority of Photos I take are from a bedroom window, behind double glazing, and normally from at least 15 feet distance, but in most cases a greater distance. Depending on available light, these photos are sometimes poor, however if the sun is in the right place, I can get some good images.

The Treecreeper, this was taken on the 14/12/10, and a bit of a surprise for us!


Next up is the Pied Wagtail, this was seen on 12/12/10, and it was within 6 feet of our backdoor.


The Goldcrest was also seen on the 14/12/10, but no photos as yet!

 As I said, despite taking most of my photos through the wrong side of a modern window, if the light is right, then I can get reasonable results, here are several examples.

A Robin.



A Bluetit.



A Dunnock.







7 comments:

  1. Hi Paul. Happened upon your blog through a comment you left on Warren`s.

    Treecreeper`s one fine bird to have on your garden list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dean, Treecreeper in the garden is a good 'un' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dean, Cheers about the Treecreeper, it was only viewed for a few seconds then it was gone, and thats the first and only time it has been seen. I think there are probably many more birds that visit our gardens, but normally we dont spend as much time looking?! Maybe the bad weather of late is making us spend more watching time at home? I will check out your blog soon, cheers Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Warren, yes the Treecreeper was indeed a surprise. We've seen Treecreepers on our local travels, as in- Tonbridge, Leybourne, Maidstone, So I guess there are a few about, but its not a common bird for us to see regularly. They are also hard to photograph too!
    Cheers Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paul

    Thanks for your comments on my blog, and welcome to the world of blogging. Nice to another local patch watcher to fill in the gaps the rest of us miss out on. I walked the Mereworth Castle/Roydon Hall tetrad for the BTO Atlas last year and was surprised at how much was about - good number of Marsh Tit and even a load of Mandarin Duck on a hidden pond not 5 minutes from the church! The only place I didn't visit was Mereworth churchyard and wondered if that has ever been productive for you?

    Look forward to further blogs and as Warren has mentioned it might be worth swopping email addresses or mobile numbers in case we pick up on stuff moving across our patches.

    Cheers

    Adam

    PS I've added a link now of my blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. PPS. Why the tortoise man?

    Ad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Adam, cheers for adding me, and exchanging emails is a good idea too. I will add a bloggers list to my own blog(when I figure out how to do it!) That pond you mention is well hidden, but now all the leaves have fallen, I should take my 1st look at it soon enough. The local Gamekeeper has kindly asked me to keep to the correct paths, so Im not sure how close I can get. I havent seen a marsh tit yet, but all the other usual birds can be seen there.

    Why the Tortoise Man you ask? Well, for many years now I have kept tortoises, I do like Reptiles. Cheers Paul

    ReplyDelete