Monday, 31 January 2011

Late/last patch walk for January.

I arrived at the church late Sunday afternoon, it must have been 3.15pm. the sun was still out so I set about a brisk walk. It wasn't too long before I spotted my first Buzzard, it was on the ground a fair distance away, then another Buzzard flew in front of me, and landed in a tree. A Sparrowhawk made several low passes(chasing varies small birds) but perched way off in the distance empty handed! Then it took off once more, within a short space of time, the Sparrowhawk flew past me again, but this time it was carrying  its prey(which was quite large) it flew off deep into the woods, so no chance of a photo. Next came the Green Woodpecker foraging/feeding in the grass, I could hear a loud Jay in its usual area, but couldn't see it this time. I spotted yet another Buzzard perched high in a tree, then stopped to take some photos of the Deer. I carried on walking(but the sun was low in the sky now) so photos would be poor in this light. I heard Bullfinches, and just managed a shot of a female. Then it was time to head back, but not before I saw 3 Goldcrests chasing each other in the trees. Halfway back to the church, and there was the Kestrel, in the grounds of Roydon Hall. One more Buzzard was seen, but the photo was so poor in this light, that it looked ghost like and grey.
Other birds seen were, Pheasant, Red legged Partridge, flock of Fieldfare, Blackbird, Robin, Blue tit, Great tit, Long tailed tit, Coal tit, GS Woodpecker, Sparrow, Crow, Wood pigeon, Mallard, Greylag, and a Fly over Cormorant. Nuthatches were also heard too.

Note- I am assuming these are Red deer? but there are also 2 other types of deer here as well.

Some photos then. As usual, if you click on a photo, it will enlarge.

Buzzard in the distance, and this one is on the ground
The next Buzzard was slightly closer, and was perched 30 feet up a tree.


Green Woodpecker, with a Rabbit in the background(I saw many rabbits!)


Yet another Buzzard perched  high.


Some of the Deer(Red I think?!)


Female Bullfinch(photo taken at 4.37pm)


The Kestrel.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Paul,its nice to know that the Buzzards are doing well out your way,I lived in East Malling up until about forty years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul,
    Nice little haul of birds there. I can see all that plastic sheeting around the building from my front bedroom window, I often watch the buzzards over there.

    I have tried to find out about the peregrines from the tower, but have had no answer from the save the tower group yet. All sorts of rumours going round, one of them was that the Peregrines have been removed and will be brought back after refurbishment of the tower - surley not! I'm sure I did see one this morning flying over the village, but it was still quite dark, so it may of been a Kestrel. Keep an eye out. How did your camera photo's look ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alan, cheers, yes the Buzzards are never too far away on my patch, and the most I have photographed at the same time was 5 of them soaring. But I have seen 9 of them soaring together once, unfortunately at that exact time, my camera battery died, so I missed the shot.
    I would think East Malling looked slightly different 40 years ago too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Warren, Thanks, I think that plastic sheeting will be there for some time yet, its certainly a huge job being undertaken.
    Its a great view from up here, and Im sure you can see that through your scope too.
    I cant imagine the Peregrines being removed from the tower(but who knows what goes on?) I will download the photos off my phone shortly, to see if it was a Peregrine I saw, however with it being just a rubbish mobile phone photo, it might not come out too good?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are indeed Red Deer Paul. The 3 hinds to the left look like they may have a little bit of Sika blood in them - purebred or hybrid I can't really tell, but both can occur in parks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Simon, cheers for that, these Deer are on private fenced off land, but I know they are escaping, because I've seen them on various areas of my patch. In fact I saw 2 today, which was a little unexpected.

    ReplyDelete