So going back to the 3rd of Jan here then. I took my young son to Sevenoaks Reserve(we like it there!) and although back then, there was plenty of ice about(not anymore I would guess?) we still managed to enjoy a good couple of hours there, even though it was very cold.
My parents/family come from that area, and I have fond childhood memories of Sevenoaks too.
Anyway, to the highlights then, we were hoping to see a Male Goosander there, but had to settle for the three females! The almost tame Robin once again said hello to us, the Black Necked Grebe was there, and also a strange little diving duck (that at the time I didnt know what it was!) After reading both Phil Sharps/Greenie's comments, it turns out to be a female Ruddy Duck. Snipe were all over the place, we counted at least 25 at once.
Unfortunately the light was poor, so the photos do suffer some. Cheers.
And if you click on a photo, it will enlarge.
First there were 2 Goosander.
Then there were three.
There are 8 Snipe here, but I have a photo of 10 in the one shot.
These three Snipe were a little closer to the hide for us.
And this Snipe was closer still.
The Black Necked Grebe.
The "unknown at the time" female Ruddy Duck.
And because those Goosander did so well for us, a couple more shots of them.










You can't beat Goosanders in my book Paul, male or female! I too like Sevenoaks but it was too busy when I went recently.
ReplyDeleteHi Phil, your right there, Goosanders are nice, and I always seem to photograph them whilst they are having a good ole preen.
ReplyDeleteSevenoaks has always been busy for us too, its a great place for young and old, but sometimes the young are a bit too loud for the wildlife there!