Friday, 14 January 2011

Sparrowhawk in garden, plus garden updates.

After spotting a Sparrowhawk in my garden twice(in flight briefly) over the last few months, she finally landed in one of the trees, so I grabbed my camera and took several shots. It just goes to show that if you watch your garden for some length of time, you will get to see some great sights like this. Even though the light was poor, and the distance had to be 40 feet away, Im pleased about these shots.
I also have GS Woodpeckers chasing each other around the dead tree, a male Blackcap has also visited too, and two abnormalities in the form of a Blue Tit with an elongated/twisted beak, and a Woodpigeon with a large growth on its lower beak.
The Treecreeper has been spotted several more times, as have those Goldcrests too.

                                                                Sparrowhawk.





I think these GS Woodpeckers are both males? one is clearly a male, the other does show a small path of red to the rear of its head/neck area.





Poor qaulity shot of the Blackcap, I also saw 2 more males in a neigbours tree, a few days before this one came to my garden.



Blue Tit with abnormal Beak(terrible light!)



Woodpigeon with large growth.



Long distance shot of one of the Goldcrests.



2 comments:

  1. I had both Sparrowhawk and GS Woodpecker in my garden this week Paul, unfortuately the former was carrying the latter off squealing :-(

    It did drop it eventually and the woody flew off !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Warren, I know its easy for us to feel kind of sorry for the poor birds who end up as a meal for a bird of prey, but that is the nature of the beast.
    Ive followed your Hadlow Sparrowhawk blog stories with interest, and I photographed my 1st male Sparrowhawk in Hadlow(Carpenters Lane)just before this past Christmas.

    ReplyDelete