Thursday, 6 January 2011

Pair of Bullfinches and The Golden Pond.

This Wednesday the 5th of Jan, saw me sneaking some time off work to go check out Clare Park lake. The sun was shining bright(for a while at least!) and if I was honest, I have a soft spot for "little ole" Clare Park lake. I spent a fair amount of time there last year, capturing some nice photos of wildlife, such as Fish, Frogs, Dragonfly/Damselfly, Butterflies and of course a few birds too!
Some of the photos give a golden appearance(thank the sun for that) hence the reason I used the cheesy Golden Pond theme!
I was only there for a short time, all the Gadwall have gone, and there was only the one Shoveler in view, still high numbers of both Mallard and Coot though.
I snapped some shots off, then made my way back to work, but when I parked up, I thought I could hear a Bullfinch? and sure enough a pair of Bullfinches were hidden in thick trees/bushes, so the photos of them are not that clear. The photos are seriously cropped because i had to be at least 50 to 70 feet away from the Bullfinches. I dont see many of these birds on my travels, and I found it hard to get a good photo of them, one day I might just get close enough for a better photo?!

Both Bullfinches in view here.


Then she flew over to him.


This is the best I could get of the Male, the sun was long gone!


And then the Female.


A Mallard, right in the winter Sunlight.


Then my favourite, the Little Grebes put on a show.






And finally an ugly ducking?!!! Well, its certainly not ugly, its rather beautiful. I've followed this Mallard since it was born last May 2010. It was the odd duckling out, all the rest were normal colouration, but this was bright yellow, Im glad it made it to adulthood, I was worried the fox would take this one.


11 comments:

  1. The wildlife has changed a bit since I went to school at clare park ( 74-79) That lake was just a mess then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done with the Bullfinches Paul. They are ridiculously difficult to get close to in my experience.
    I used to catch Trout from Clare Park lake when I was a young teenager.......happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Warren, its a nice little lake mate, although with schools so close, you will always get "kids being kids" around there. Im sure the lake has gone through many changes over the years.
    So you were born in '63' then?! or there abouts.
    I didnt go to Clare Park myself( I was in Australia at the time) but my wife did, she would have been a few years above you though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Phil, cheers about those shy Bullfinches, and your right, to get close enough for a decent photo, is somewhat of a challenge!
    I have seen a trout there, but that was approx. 15 years ago. There are still several large Carp there and Ive seen a school of young fish too. Also a large(over 2 feet long) Catfish recently died there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clare Park looks a great place! I've never been there myself.
    You did well to get the Bullfinch photos, I've never managed to get close enough yet for a photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hybrid duck at the foot of your post is interesting Paul. I don't have your e-mail address for contact but....any chance of me 'nicking' the photograph for some opinions on the species involved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Simon,(sorry for the delay in replying to this)and cheers, I guess I was lucky with those Bullfinches. Clare Park lake is very small, but it has some surprises hidden away, you've just got to show patience, and you will be rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pete,(again, sorry for the delay in replying to you, I haven't been online for several days now) As for that duck, yes you can use it for gathering some opinions, but as I said above, that duck was part of a large clutch of Mallard ducklings, all the other duckings were of normal colouration, but that one was bright yellow. Also I do have photos of when it was much younger, and in with the rest of the ducklings and its mother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Paul.
    You did well getting the Bulfinch shots, something I have yet to do. The rest of your photo's are nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your reply re the 'odd' duck of which I took a copy since your permit was given to me.

    Also thanks for looking in and comments on Birds2blog they are much appreciated. Any update on the duck and I'll get back to you Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ken, it seems Bullfinches are quite difficult to get close to! and thanks about my other photos too mate.



    Hi Pete, no problems mate, and I look forward to other opinions on that duck, cheers.

    ReplyDelete