Thursday, 10 March 2011

Waxwings in West Malling? Why ever not!

After hearing/reading(thanks to Adam Whitehouse's Blog) about the Waxwings at West Malling, I thought I would drop in on them Tuesday just gone. Well, the sun was out in force, and I was passing that way, so I couldn't really say no could I?!
I drove straight past a couple of them eating berries, and parked my car in a dubious fashion!    "I wasn't staying here long officer, honest I wasn't!!!"
The sun was behind me so I just started taking pics, but then they flew up into a tree and showed no signs of coming back down, their bellies full no doubt!
I was joined by another guy(sporting a big camera/ lens combi.) so we chatted away, taking the occasional pic, but we really wanted these waxwings to come down to feed. A Grey Wagtail landed on a roof, but just as I pointed my camera at it, it flew off! We had a count up, and agreed there were 10 Waxwings in situ.
It was getting to the point were I was going to leave, but then true to form, down flew these beautiful birds, to gulp down some more berries. We both captured some good shots, then went our separate ways.

Some photos then, and this is my 3rd time connecting with these beauties(Snodland and East Malling being the previous 2 times) Im sure glad I took the slight detour now. Cheers.

As always, click on the photos to enlarge.








4 comments:

  1. Cracking shots, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dean, thanks a lot mate, I think these Waxwing shots are my best yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Warren, cheers mate, it was near perfect conditions, and the Waxwings were at eye level and approx. 15 feet away, so all i had to do was keep shooting.

    ReplyDelete