Some photos then. All shots were taken on the 22nd of March.
Whilst I'm very much a "novice birder" (encouraged by my 8 year old son) I also enjoy, seek out, and try to photograph other local wildlife too. The area's that I frequent are between Maidstone, East/West Malling, Mereworth, through to Hadlow. My adopted patch is situated on the borders of East Peckham and Mereworth, its St. Michaels Church and the surrounding area.
Wednesday, 30 March 2011
Nuthatch activity on my Church patch.
Ive always heard the Nuthatches in and around my Church patch, and Ive seen them often enough, Ive also managed to capture a few photos, but for the most part I had failed to get any decent shots to date. So I set out to watch them for an hour or so, and just see if I could finally get some good shots. I had noticed that they would occasionally land on part of the church wall, but more often than not, they would soon fly off when I approached that area. So I set up camp(well, I stood near the area where I had seen them!) and camera at the ready, just waited, without trying to move too much. It wasnt long before they put on a show, I would say there were at least 2 to 4 of them(possibly more?) it was hard to keep track of the numbers. It seems that they have a stash of nuts/seeds/food in a hole in the Church wall, and they visited this stash often! I also witnessed them preening in nearby trees and I saw 2 different birds remove large bugs from trees. I think I did quite well all in all, I missed the preening shots, and I wish I would have been closer when they were drilling the trees for those delicious bugs, but you cant "win em all".
Some photos then. All shots were taken on the 22nd of March.
Some photos then. All shots were taken on the 22nd of March.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










Cracking set of images, Paul.
ReplyDeleteAgree, fantastic photos Paul! Nuthatches are such a great bird aren't they?!
ReplyDeleteHi Dean, cheers for that mate, I did get a fair few shots.
ReplyDeleteIm not sure whats wrong with my Blog, but it hasn't updated/shown this latest post???
Hi Simon, thanks mate, and yes, Nuthatches really are a cracking bird.
ReplyDeletePaul ,
ReplyDeleteSomething certainly went amiss with the post as it never flagged up on mine . Blogger seems to have been playing up for several people lately .
Well worth the wait though , a cracking set of shots . Unusual to get birds out in the open without branches and leaves getting in the way . Very well done indeed .
Hi Greenie, cheers for your comments on my Nuthatch pics, I was certainly spoilt for choice with them, I had a great time watching them go about their business though.
ReplyDeleteIm not sure about my Blog working or not, I should try another fresh post soon to see though?!
Hi,very nice pics.
ReplyDelete